PAVSA provides a crisis line that is answered by trained sexual assault advocates 24 hours a day. Staff and volunteer advocates are available to answer any questions related to sexual violence as well as offer ongoing support and consultation. All PAVSA staff are trained advocates so during normal business hours, calls or walk-ins are always welcome.
To schedule an appointment with an advocate during regular office hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) contact our office at 218-726-1442. To speak with an advocate on our 24 hour crisis line, call 218-726-1931.
Summer Hours: Monday-Thursday 8am-4:30pm, Friday 8am-12pm
Hospital advocates work closely with Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) throughout a sexual assault exam to provide support, answer questions about what happens next and provide resources and options to victims as well as their friends and family. Hospital advocates are also available to provide support to during initial interviews with law enforcement.
PAVSA’s SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) Program ensures victims appropriate medical care and evidence collection following a sexual assault. SANEs work closely with sexual assault advocates to ensure that victims are treated in a sensitive, caring and professional manner during a sexual assault exam. Forensic medical exams are essential to successful investigation and prosecution of sexual assault cases.
SANEs are registered nurses and nurse practitioners that understand the dynamics of sexual assault and are specially trained in collection of forensic evidence, medical/legal interviewing and documentation, and expert witness testimony. They provide comprehensive and compassionate forensic medical exams for sexual assault victims.
Counseling and Support Groups
PAVSA provides several services to help victim/survivors heal from the crisis and trauma associated with sexual violence. All services are free and confidential, including:
Individual Counseling: one on one counseling provided by a licensed counselor.
Our current on-going support groups include:
- Art Group, a weekly open group utilizing expressive arts activities that assist victim/survivors heal from sexual violence.
- Yoga Group, this trauma-informed yoga class is a private and closed class for survivors of sexual violence. Class is perfect for beginners and experienced yoga practitioners alike. We offer a one hour slow-paced, gentle and restorative practice and also incorporate strengthening poses. Call us to register!
- Online Support Group, this group is an anonymous online forum for survivors to connect with each other and trained advocates in a healing and supportive way. It is available Wednesdays from 2:00-4:00pm by visiting https://affiliate.rainn.org/helproom/PAVSA
PAVSA also adds new support groups addressing specific issues on a regular basis. If you are interested in meeting with a counselor or becoming part of a support group, contact the office at 218-726-1442 for scheduling and enrollment information.
PAVSA legal and systems advocates are available to provide support to victims as they interact with the various systems that may be related to sexual assault. These include the criminal justice system, law enforcement, governmental entities, social services, civil attorneys and others.
Sex Trafficking and Exploitation Services
PAVSA’s Trafficking Program provides supportive services and case management to victim/survivors of sexual exploitation and sex trafficking including crisis services, support groups and counseling. The Trafficking Program services include:
- 24 hour crisis response to exploited youth
- Advocacy and case management
- Legal/systems advocacy
- Support groups
- Outreach groups
- Youth development training
- Trafficking emergency fund