Employment Opportunity: Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner
Employment Opportunity: Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Position
Essentia Hospital – Duluth, MN;
St. Luke’s Hospital – Duluth, MN;
Essentia Hospital – Superior, WI;
Lake View Memorial Hospital – Two Harbors, MN;
1 year experience as an RN and/or prior SANE, Emergency or OB/GYN experience.
Registered Nurse (current Minnesota license) and liability insurance
40 Hour Adult/Adolescent IAFN approved Sexual Assault Forensic Examination Training at time of hire.
- Pelvic Exams (one w/ model; as many as needed to be competent w/ OB/GYN)
- Capacity to draw blood
- Ability to administer medications
- Skills training provided
Additional Skills / Abilities:
- Strong clinical skills
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Sensitivity in dealing with victims of sexual assault
- Supervision team of SANE Coordinator, PAVSA Executive Director and SANE Medical Director and Lead SANE for performance evaluations.
- Medical Director and Lead SANE for clinical consultation
- Daily supervision and administration of program by the SANE Coordinator
- $75 Stipend for mandatory monthly 2.5 hour team meetings
- $30/hour for mandatory skills training and hospital orientation
- $5.00/hour on-call pay weekday; $10.00/hour on-call pay weekend
*Liability insurance reimbursed with an average of 72 hours of monthly on-call availability a year; reimbursed 6 months after employment start
- 72 hours of availability per month on-call; SANE Coordinator will arrange schedules
- Requirement of one holiday shift per year; one weekend shift per month. All extended unavailability (more than 5 days in a row) must be submitted to SANE Coordinator in advance.
- Immediate response to PAVSA office or answering service when a call comes in.
- 45/60 minute response time to hospital
- Carry a cell phone when on-call
The PAVSA SANE Program is currently accepting resumes and/or CVs for Adolescent/Adult SANE Nurses. Please send along with a cover letter to Em at email@example.com.
*Trained Adolescent/Adult SANE RNs preferred. For SANE training opportunities, please go to https://www.pavsa.org/our-programs/
Volunteer Opportunities at PAVSA
PAVSA’s volunteers are critical to supporting victim-survivors in our community. Our dedicated volunteers assist with facilitating our helpline and provide advocacy in the hospital setting, both services are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Volunteers help to cover our overnight and weekend hours. We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of one shift a month for a year.
Volunteering with PAVSA is a great way to support survivors in our community, cultivate your crisis intervention and de-escalation skills, and build knowledge of community resources. All volunteers must complete a state-mandated 40-hour Sexual Assault Advocacy Training. PAVSA provides the training at no cost to you and the training will equip you with the skills to be a great advocate!
Volunteers are required to have a phone to take calls and transportation to get to and from the hospital.
If you have questions about volunteering or want to know the next training dates, please contact Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer Application can be found here and returned to Erin at email@example.com
Internship Opportunities at PAVSA
PAVSA offers excellent internship opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Interns can be involved in many of our programs based on their interests and availability. These opportunities include, but are not limited to: crisis line and hospital advocacy, support groups, outreach groups, community education, legal advocacy, youth advocacy, and organizing events and awareness campaigns. All interns are required to complete our state-mandated 40-hour Sexual Assault Advocacy Training.
- Strong commitment to victim/survivors and the cause of PAVSA
- Proactive attitude in finding work when unassigned and volunteering for duties when opportunities are provided
- Experience and/or skill working in an administrative position
- Experience and/or skill working with crisis situations
- Flexibility in scheduling and attitude.
Before applying please consider:
- Much of our work is crisis and/or needs based and available 24/7. Needs regarding coverage may be last minute, will require quick action, and will be on evenings/weekends.
- Because of the nature of our work, some interns may find themselves triggered by the things we encounter. It is important for interns to consider their tolerance of such topics before accepting a position.
- Sexual trauma history is not considered in acceptance of interns.
- If you have any concerns about your ability to fulfill any of the above duties it is recommended that you discuss the matter with your school internship supervisors prior to agreeing to the internship.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Vanessa at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- What are the requirements for your internship? (ex: hours, timeline)
- What would you bring to an internship at PAVSA?
- What would you hope to learn at PAVSA?
Application Deadlines for each semester are:
Fall: July 16th
Spring: October 30th
Summer: April 15th
Keep in mind that we have limited spots available, so get your resume and cover letter to us prior to the deadline!
Board of Directors
Join Our Board of Directors
PAVSA is dedicated to the elimination of sexual violence in southern St. Louis County through supporting victims, educating the community, and advocating for change. Our core values include confidentiality, inclusivity, resiliency, and community-mindedness. We are committed to providing support services for victim-survivors of sexual violence and their support people, educating and building awareness in the community, and advocating for social change in the many systems that interact with victim-survivors following sexual violence. We are seeking community members who are committed to our mission and values to serve on our Board of Directors.
The Board needs a diverse set of skills and backgrounds to ensure broad, relevant, diverse ideas and representation. Prior board experience is a plus but not required. This is a volunteer opportunity and no compensation will be paid.
- Responsible for the purpose, programs and public accountability of the nonprofit organization
- Engage in a biannual strategic planning session
- Monitor management
- Represent the organization to the community and enhance the public image
- Attend monthly board meetings, read background information provided each month prior to Board meetings
- Board meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month from 5:00-6:30pm
- Membership on one committee of the Board, either Internal or External committee
If you have questions about joining the Board of Directors, please contact Sara Niemi, Executive Director, at 218-726-1442 or email@example.com.