Employment Opportunity: Project Attorney
Employment Opportunity: Project Attorney
*open until filled
PAVSA has a unique opportunity for a motivated and resourceful attorney. We are seeking a Project Attorney to provide direct representation to victim/survivors of sexual violence in Southern St Louis County.
PAVSA, The Program for Aid to Victims of Sexual Assault, has been Southern St Louis County’s sole rape crisis advocacy agency since 1975. Services available include helpline advocacy 24/7, medical advocacy,
legal advocacy, forensic exams from trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, therapy, support groups, and supportive advocacy & referrals. Crisis services are provided to primary and secondary adult & minor victim/survivors ages 12 and up who have experienced any form of sexual violence across their lifespan.
The attorney will represent victim/survivors of sexual violence in Southern St Louis County. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: providing direct representation to sexual violence victim/survivors in civil cases, preparation of litigation materials, conducting legal research, and working collaboratively with advocates at PAVSA.
- Licensed attorney in the State of Minnesota or the ability to be admitted to the Minnesota Bar within 6 months (required)
- 2 years experience providing advocacy to sexual violence victim/survivors (preferred)
- 2 years experience advocating for underrepresented communities (i.e. communities of color, gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender people, migrant workers, immigrants and refugees, women used in prostitution, vulnerable adults, differently abled, etc.) (preferred)
- 1 year of experience in program or project development and implementation (preferred)
- Demonstrated writing abilities
- Computer skills
- Willingness to learn new skills and accomplish new tasks
Other relevant position information:
- Must be able to work closely with sexual violence advocates
- Knowledge of other language(s) is a plus
- Knowledge of intersectionality and BIPOC history/historical trauma is a plus
- Partial remote status may be considered
- We encourage applications from BIPOC, people of all genders, veterans, and people with disabilities
This is a full-time position with salary range of $61,000-63,000 including health insurance and vacation benefits.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter discussing their interest in and qualifications for position and their resume to:
Attn: Sara Niemi
32 E 1st St #200
Duluth, MN 55802
PAVSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Employment Opportunity: Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner
Employment Opportunity: Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Position
Essentia Hospital – Duluth, MN;
St. Luke’s Hospital – Duluth, MN;
Essentia Hospital – Superior, WI;
Lake View Memorial Hospital – Two Harbors, MN;
1 year experience as an RN and/or prior SANE, Emergency or OB/GYN experience.
Registered Nurse (current Minnesota license) and liability insurance
40 Hour Adult/Adolescent IAFN approved Sexual Assault Forensic Examination Training at time of hire.
- Pelvic Exams (one w/ model; as many as needed to be competent w/ OB/GYN)
- Capacity to draw blood
- Ability to administer medications
- Skills training provided
Additional Skills / Abilities:
- Strong clinical skills
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Sensitivity in dealing with victims of sexual assault
- Supervision team of SANE Coordinator, PAVSA Executive Director and SANE Medical Director and Lead SANE for performance evaluations.
- Medical Director and Lead SANE for clinical consultation
- Daily supervision and administration of program by the SANE Coordinator
- $75 Stipend for mandatory monthly 2.5 hour team meetings
- $30/hour for mandatory skills training and hospital orientation
- $5.00/hour on-call pay weekday; $10.00/hour on-call pay weekend
*Liability insurance reimbursed with an average of 72 hours of monthly on-call availability a year; reimbursed 6 months after employment start
- 72 hours of availability per month on-call; SANE Coordinator will arrange schedules
- Requirement of one holiday shift per year; one weekend shift per month. All extended unavailability (more than 5 days in a row) must be submitted to SANE Coordinator in advance.
- Immediate response to PAVSA office or answering service when a call comes in.
- 45/60 minute response time to hospital
- Carry a cell phone when on-call
The PAVSA SANE Program is currently accepting resumes and/or CVs for Adolescent/Adult SANE Nurses. Please send along with a cover letter to Em at email@example.com.
*Trained Adolescent/Adult SANE RNs preferred. For SANE training opportunities, please go to https://www.pavsa.org/our-programs/
Board of Directors
Join Our Board of Directors
PAVSA is dedicated to the elimination of sexual violence in southern St. Louis County through supporting victims, educating the community, and advocating for change. Our core values include confidentiality, inclusivity, resiliency, and community-mindedness. We are committed to providing support services for victim-survivors of sexual violence and their support people, educating and building awareness in the community, and advocating for social change in the many systems that interact with victim-survivors following sexual violence. We are seeking community members who are committed to our mission and values to serve on our Board of Directors.
The Board needs a diverse set of skills and backgrounds to ensure broad, relevant, diverse ideas and representation. Prior board experience is a plus but not required. This is a volunteer opportunity and no compensation will be paid.
- Responsible for the purpose, programs and public accountability of the nonprofit organization
- Engage in a biannual strategic planning session
- Monitor management
- Represent the organization to the community and enhance the public image
- Attend monthly board meetings, read background information and reports provided prior to Board meetings
- Board meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each month from 5:30-7:00pm
- Membership on one committee of the Board, either Internal or External committee
If you have questions about joining the Board of Directors, please contact Sara Niemi, Executive Director, at 218-726-1442 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Opportunities at PAVSA
PAVSA’s volunteers are critical to supporting victim-survivors in our community. Our dedicated volunteers assist with facilitating our helpline and provide advocacy in the hospital setting, both services are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Volunteers help to cover our overnight and weekend hours. We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of one shift a month for a year.
Volunteering with PAVSA is a great way to support survivors in our community, cultivate your crisis intervention and de-escalation skills, and build knowledge of community resources. All volunteers must complete a state-mandated 40-hour Sexual Assault Advocacy Training. PAVSA provides the training at no cost to you and the training will equip you with the skills to be a great advocate!
Volunteers are required to have a phone to take calls and transportation to get to and from the hospital.
If you have questions about volunteering or want to know the next training dates, please contact Erin at email@example.com. Volunteer Application can be found here and returned to Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Internship Opportunities at PAVSA
PAVSA offers excellent internship opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Interns can be involved in many of our programs based on their interests and availability. These opportunities include, but are not limited to: crisis line and hospital advocacy, support groups, outreach groups, community education, legal advocacy, youth advocacy, and organizing events and awareness campaigns. All interns are required to complete our state-mandated 40-hour Sexual Assault Advocacy Training.
- Strong commitment to victim/survivors and the cause of PAVSA
- Proactive attitude in finding work when unassigned and volunteering for duties when opportunities are provided
- Experience and/or skill working in an administrative position
- Experience and/or skill working with crisis situations
- Flexibility in scheduling and attitude.
Before applying please consider:
- Much of our work is crisis and/or needs based and available 24/7. Needs regarding coverage may be last minute, will require quick action, and will be on evenings/weekends.
- Because of the nature of our work, some interns may find themselves triggered by the things we encounter. It is important for interns to consider their tolerance of such topics before accepting a position.
- Sexual trauma history is not considered in acceptance of interns.
- If you have any concerns about your ability to fulfill any of the above duties it is recommended that you discuss the matter with your school internship supervisors prior to agreeing to the internship.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Vanessa at email@example.com. In the cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- What are the requirements for your internship? (ex: hours, timeline)
- What would you bring to an internship at PAVSA?
- What would you hope to learn at PAVSA?
Keep in mind that we have limited spots available, so get your resume and cover letter to us prior to the deadline!